Artlab Australia provides a team of qualified conservators who specialise in preservation and conservation services for works of art and historic items.
These companies are commercial providers of archival products such as for example acid photo that is free and archival boxes for storing your papers.
People often seek suggestions about how exactly to care for cherished personal items, passed down through the family, that they hope to pass on in good shape to the next generation. This LibGuide provides some practical and simple how to take care of your records that are personal.
One choice is to donate them to a suitable archival repository, to ensure their long-term preservation also to cause them to become accessible to the wider community. The State Library always welcomes the chance to appraise records that are original the archival collections, once they connect with South Australians or South Australia, are of state significance while having enduring research value.
The Coordinator Archival Collection Development can discuss donating under also the Cultural Gifts Program.
General proper care of your collections
- Acid-free containers
- Polypropylene sleeves
- Acid-free paper, tissues and cloth
- Soft pencils approved for writing captions on back of photos
- Sticky glue and tape
- Writing with a ballpoint pen
- Mounting items with glue onto cardboard or masonite
- Sticking post-it notes onto actual items because they may leave a residue that is sticky
- Traditional style plastic sleeves, which will cause documents and photographs to rapidly fade and discolour. They could also make removal of your item difficult, as a result of adhesion that is internal.
- Sunlight or bright light falling directly onto items
- Boxes on the floor (keep them over the floor on clean shelving)
- Extremes and rapid fluctuations of humidity and temperature
- Dust and pests (insects and vermin).
- Keeping archival records in old sheds, or under leaky roofing, or in damp, dusty or dirty areas, or without fire protection.
- Using buy an essay starch based loose packing materials to safeguard items from breakage (insects should be drawn to the starch and create pest management problems).
- Make notes about any items of historical interest, and keep these using the item, or in a safe place, so the info is not lost.
- Make lists associated with contents of boxes and keep them in the front of each and every box. Label your boxes.
- Make a list of that is to inherit which items and label these with that individual’s name.
- Consider making a bequest or a donation towards our fundraising campaigns or there are several alternative methods it is possible to support us.
- Consider whether your archival records might be of great interest to all South Australians.
If so, we suggest you communicate with the Archival Field Officer about your intentions as soon as possible, as your knowledge that is own about personal records is invaluable.
What students are saying
As a student that is current this bumpy collegiate pathway, I came across Course Hero, where I am able to find study resources for pretty much all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and also share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.
I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me come early july. It’s truly become something I can always count on and assist me. Within the final end, I became not only in a position to survive summer classes, but I became able to thrive as a result of Course Hero.
The capability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable within my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to assist me move ahead and acquire everything together on time.